The Reclining Buddha, Wat Pho
Over the last few years, it has become increasingly more popular for people to try and visit nine sacred temples in Bangkok in order to bring themselves good luck for the new year. It doesn’t really matter which order you do these in, however you should try to pay your respects at all nine temples in one day. Nine of course being an auspicious number in Thai culture because it sounds like the Thai word for “progress”. If you don’t have time to visit these temples now, then you can try later during mid April for the traditional Thai new year.
Here is the list of the temples together with what you can gain from each visit:
1. Wat Suthat – Good vision
2. Wat Chanasongkram – Victory over difficult obstacles
3. Wat Arum (Temple of Dawn) – A prosperous life
4. City Pillar Shrine – Discard bad luck and lengthen your life with good fortune
5. Wat Kanlayanmit – A safe trip
6. Wat Rakhang – To become more popular and likeable
7. Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of Emerald Buddha) – Wealth and rich rewards
8. Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) – A happier and more peaceful life
9. Chao Phor Seua Shrine – Offers more power and stature
It might be difficult to visit all of these temples by yourself. An alternative would be to join one of the organized tours that are very popular at this time of year.
The Temple of Dawn, Wat Arun
One response to “9 Lucky Bangkok Temples”