I spent most of the day at the Book Fair at Queen Sirikit Convention Hall. The big fairs are usually during the school holidays in April and October. I used to comment that Thai people don’t like reading much (apart from cartoon books), but every year more and more people go to these book fairs. Today was packed and I could hardly move. I bought quite a few books that I will share with you later, but first I want to show you this book which is all about the Top 10 of Thai Food! Obviously one of my favourite subjects. As you can see, the book is in Thai. I think I already have the best of the Thai cookery books. Most of them are quite limited and repeat themselves a lot. so, that is why today I was browsing through the cook books written by Thai people. A better selection for sure. I bought half a dozen cook books which will help me a lot identifying the ingredients of street food that I have already photographed. I could blog about Thai food every day, I am just lacking the information sometimes.
Anyway, according to this book, the following is the Top 10 list of Thai Food:
- Hot and sour soup with shrimp ต้มยำกุ้ง (tom yum goong)
- Green curry with chicken แกงเขียวหวาน (gaeng kiaw waen gai)
- Fried Noodles ผัดไทย (pad tai)
- Pork fried in basil ผัดกระเพรา (pat ga-prao)
- Red curry with roast duck แกงเผ็ดเป็ดย่าง (gaeng pet bet yaang)
- Coconut soup with chicken ต้มข่าไก่ (tom kaa gai)
- Thai style salad with beef ยำเนื้อย่าง (yam neua yaang)
- Satay pork สะเต๊ะหมู (moo sa-teh)
- Fried chicken with cashew ไก่ผัดเม็ดมะม่วงหิมพานต์ (gai pat met ma-muang him-ma-paan)
- Panang curry พะแนง (pa-naeng)
I have already written about most of these dishes as they are all my favourites. You will find them on my new web site at enjoythaifood.com. The others I will do my best to add soon.
By the way, we also have a new forum where you can discuss Thai food!
9 responses to “Top 10 Thai Food”