Here are some more old wive’s tales from Thailand:
(1) Do not look down while you are walking because it will make your life shorter and no-one will love you.
(2) Do not stomp your feet while in the house because you will scare the house spirits away and there will be no-one to look after the house.
(3) Do not walk heavily because this kind of person won’t be able to save money.
(4) Do not step over sharp objects like scissors or knives because you will make it lose its sharpness.
(5) Do not step over a book because it will make you stupid.
(6) Do not step over the piece of wood propping up a banana tree because the bananas will be small.
(7) Do not walk over a charcoal brazier because you will get in trouble.
(8) Do not step over a gun or other hunting weapon because you will make the magic go away.
(9) Do not step over a pole that is used to carry loads on your shoulders because you will get a gallstone.
Source: Translated from “Boran Oo-bai” by Sanom Krutmeuang