A novice monk studying Dhamma in a temple in Mae Hong Son
Here are some more old wive’s tales from Thailand:
(1) Do not sleep with your legs crossed because you will have a suffocating feeling in your dreams
(2) Do not put your hand across your forehead because nobody will love you.
(3) Do not eat while lying down because you will become a snake in your next life.
(4) Do not sleep naked because the angel won’t protect you.
(5) Do not lie down with one knee up because a very violent class of demon will suck your blood.
(6) Do not sleep under the beam of the house because the ghost will possess you easily.
(7) Do not sleep near the threshold of the house because you will have a suffocating feeling in your dreams
(8) Do not sleep on the gaps between the floorboards because a ghost will drag you down the hole.
(9) Do not count the stars while lying down because it will make your life short.
(10) Do not sleep in the kitchen because you will marry an old maid/man.
(11) Do not sleep in the early evening because the ghost will come and take your soul.
(12) Do not sleep while the sun is setting because you will never get up.
(13) Do not sleep with your head pointing west because that is where ghosts live.
(14) Do not lie down and read a book because it will make you stupid.
Source: Translated from “Boran Oo-bai” by Sanom Krutmeuang