Every country has their own Old Wive’s Tales. A list of things you shouldn’t do. Thailand is no exception. Some of these seem crazy on the surface but most have hidden good reasons. You will still hear some of these being said today in some Thai families.
* Don’t eat a double banana because if you are a woman you will give birth to twins.
* Don’t eat before your elders because in your next life you will be born as a dog.
* Don’t eat food without rice because you will get rickets.
* Don’t eat salt under a tree because it will make the tree die.
* Don’t eat other people’s food without permission because it will make your throat swollen.
* Don’t eat the leftovers from your child because it will make the kid naughty.
* Don’t eat before a monk because you will become a bad ghost.
* Don’t eat corn when you have the flu because it will give you a higher fever.
* Don’t eat all of the rice during your evening meal because you should leave some for the elves.
* Don’t eat cold rice with hot rice because you will lose your way easily the next time you go out.
* Don’t eat egg when you have cut yourself because it will make it worse.
* Don’t eat chicken feet because it will give you bad handwriting.
* Don’t eat chili sauce in the mortar bowl because if you are a woman you will give birth to a child with big lips.
* Don’t eat turtles because it will make you walk slowly.
* Don’t eat dog because the dog’s spirit will possess you.
There will be more to come over the coming weeks.
Source: Translated from “Boran Oo-bai” by Sanom Krutmeuang
7 responses to “Old Wive’s Tales about Eating”